Pages

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Dogs just wanna have fun.

I know that I risk driving away my two readers by posting yet again about the weather. However, the weather dictates so much of how I will go about my day, and what I will, or will not be able to get done, that I simply can't ignore it.

I am not going to say that we have gotten a lot of snow in the past 24 hours, but when the friendly neighborhood gigantic orange snowplow gets stuck in the ditch and needs to be towed out...I think that speaks for itself.

Forgive the grainy photo, I was using the zoom through my screen window....Yes, I know how very Gladys Kravitz that sounds.

When I watched the weather report before going outside to do my chores this morning, I was feeling a bit uninspired to say the least. I shuffled off to put on my layers of winter clothing until I resembled the little boy in the movie, "A Christmas Story". I rounded up the dogs to go out with me to do chores, and squeezed all of us through the small opening that the snow piled up against the back door allowed.

While grumbling through my daily routine, I was trying to see as the snow pelted my face. I looked down at Miss Emma, and it was obvious how wonderful she thought this whole thing was. She didn't care that it was snowing, and windy, and work needed to be done. She only knew that she was outside with mom and she wanted to play.

Aww! C'mon mom, let's play!

Then I realized that Emma is smarter than most people.

Sometimes it takes someone to remind us how to play, that life is short, and sometimes it doesn't matter how ridiculous you look, or what anybody would think, or how much work needs to be done.... That big, goofy, brown dog was my reminder. Thank-you Emma.

So play we did, (after the initial complaints registered from my knees that have been in a semi-dormant state all winter) we ran through the snow drifts, and I threw snowballs for the dogs to "find" in the snow. The dogs all chased each other into drifts until they would get stuck, turn around and come bounding back.

Jordan checked out some wonderful new lawn ornaments.

And Bailie exuded joy as she did her little dance of happiness (rolled around in the snow).

Is that a happy dog or what?

All that playing made us really tired.


Until Gary opened the truck to let the girls ride with him into town to get gas.......they didn't care that it was just a ride to get gas.

They are dogs, they know how to have fun.


"Hey, sheep stuck in the snow over here."

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Tammy said...

Great post! The 'snow plow stuck' photo says it all. Sheesh. That is ALOT of snow. I'm glad the dogs were able to put it in perspective for you---it's so easy to get worn down from life--but when you see how happy and joyeous the dogs are over the silliest things, it just makes a person smile. And those last photos of the sheep. THEY don't look to amused about it all. ha..
Take care,
Tammy

Nancy K. said...

What an absolutely delightful post. I am SMILING from ear to ear! I think I'll go outside and PLAY with my dogs and sheep and goats!

Thank you for putting it all in perspective....

P.S. who's that HST ram????

Michelle said...

Okay, that made the grey drizzle outside my window look a little less intolerable. But the results are a lot hard to clean off the paws!

Jenny Holden said...

Wow! We may have green grass but look at your beautiful snow!! We've had a pitiful helping this year and now it's warm enough to be out in a t-shirt! In February!! The world's climate is definitely messed up.

Kathy said...

Love the post! And I had to laugh at the Sheep Stuck in Snow! That's exactly what it looks like around here. Although I do think Skittles and his wether-bud, Colin spend the night "plowing" their pen. I have even watched that silly ram dig his tire-toy out of three feet of snow!
There's nothing like a Shetland, high-centered in a snowbank!

Copyright info

Creative Commons License
The content of Crosswinds Farm blog is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.