Pages

Monday, November 3, 2008

It takes a village to install a gate

The weather here has been absolutely gorgeous the last few days. Over the weekend it was in the 70's and I was able to go outside in just a tee shirt.....well, I had pants on too, my point being, that it was warm enough that I didn't need a jacket.

We have a lot of projects that we have been trying to get finished before the harsh reality of winter sets in, and last weekend's weather afforded us the opportunity to tackle some of those jobs.

There are a lot of things that I am perfectly capable of accomplishing on my own.....as my lovely daughter says, I am freakishly strong for my size, but when it comes to the use of power tools of any kind, I respectfully defer to my dear Husband's expertise. Power tools don't scare me, frankly, it's a just a safety issue for everyone involved. I am insanely accident prone, and I am more likely to sever an appendage (mine or anyone that has the misfortune of being in close proximity) than to..say, cut a board in half with a circular saw.

One of our weekend ventures was adding some new gates between the horse pasture and one of the sheep enclosures. Now, the only power tool required for that task was a drill to put the hinges into the wooden posts, however, knowing my predisposition to injury and mayhem, dear hubby asked for only my supervision and assistance...supervision because he has lived with me long enough to know that if he does it on his own and I come out and look at it later, the chances are good that I might say something like, "Ohhh, Honey, I'm not sure that I wanted that there...I was kinda thinking that we would put it more over this way...". It's a girl thing. So I decided to take a few photos while I was...eh hem, helping.

As it turns out, I was not the only one in a supervisory position. There was no shortage of helpful onlookers while Gary was installing the gate.......By the way, the other supervisors are all girls too.


Then the horses felt it necessary to put their two cents in.
Jake tries to offer his support and add a little testosterone to the situation.
"Here dad, let me take off your gloves for you".
"What, I wasn't doing anything!"



"Hey mom, let me help you with that camera thingy".


"You know, Willow, we live with a bunch of weirdos"!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I learned very quickly in this little hobby farm venture that I will not install fencing or gates. Now that maybe $5,000 later in fencing & gates but no one has gotten out, expect the time my dad forgot to double check the gate! However, when using panels for quick fencing for birthing/breeding areas, I have had escape issues:) Animals are the "most helpful" workers...I love the pictures of the horses! My goats are notorious pick-pocketers! I can't agree more with this awesome weather!!!

Jenny Holden said...

Hee hee, I'm putting up a fence at the moment too, or my poor woollies will run out of grazing this winter! Fox is extremely "helpful": first he picked up the bucket of staples for me and kindly tipped them all onto the grass; then he carried a fencepost away for me... back to where I'd just got it from. He thinks he's such a good farm dog!

Copyright info

Creative Commons License
The content of Crosswinds Farm blog is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.