Pages

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Lambs!

 Quick update before things get crazy. Sorry, the pictures aren't great because the lambs are still in the lambing jug.
The first of the 2013 lambs arrived last night! Two EWE lambs out of Crosswinds San Diego x Sommarang Dolly (Lilly). Both are very dark moorit. One is a gulmoget, both are spotted. Yay, Lilly!

Of course, they don't have names yet!
 If you know me, you know that I haven't even thought of a theme for names yet. 
Why do I do that every year?

I'm not sure what is going on with the Billy Idol hair on these two, but hey, work it, girls!

The gulmoget has good crimp to her fleece right now, with the crimp falling off a just a bit towards the back. I will be anxious to see how her fleece develops. The moorit spotty has looser crimp right now. Both are very soft.



Ande is still trying to decide if he likes them...he's pretty sure he doesn't, mostly because they are diverting my attention away from him.


 Little (no name) gully girl. With solid sides, like her sire :).

 Love the nose on this girl.






I'm not looking forward to this. Holly is next in line. 

I stole, and froze, some colostrum from Lilly's ginormous udder after her lambs had a full day's worth in their big, round bellies--just in case Holly's milk production is not up to par by the time she lambs. I also have powdered colostrum as a backup, and milk replacer, just in case.
 Holly, you were a good mom before, I hope last year's milk shortage was just a one-time event. Don't let me down, girl.
Does she look like she's smirking in that picture? I feel like she's smirking.

3 comments:

Tombstone Livestock said...

Congratulations they are adorable.

Spinners End Farm said...

Very cute ewes! Yes. It appears that Holly is smirking!

Kelly said...

Maura had some milk production issues last year and after much deliberation, I decided to give her one more chance and she's milking like a cow this year!!! Feeding both lambs and no issues at all, so maybe you can have the same luck.
BTW-Lovely ewe lambs.

Copyright info

Creative Commons License
The content of Crosswinds Farm blog is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.